Saturday 5 January 2013

My 2013 Memory Jar!

Hey everyone!

I've seen so many people on YouTube and Twitter mention a 'memory jar' or 'journal jar' and I loved the idea! If you are anything like me when it comes to writing full on letters into a journal, I get bored after the first day and completely forget about it! So I think this is a great substitute for keeping a diary. I've made mine and I love it! My plan is whenever something happens, it doesn't have to be big, I'm going to write it on a little piece of paper with the date on and put it in my jar. Roughly 360 days later one New Years Eve I'll get to open my jar and read all the little amazing things that happened to me over the year.

Here's how to do it:

The jar is very simple to do. (This is just how I made mine, you can just take some ideas from this or copy the exact method!).

1. Take any jar you have, whatever size you want, and place it in a basin of hot water out of the kettle. Make sure you have a lid to fit the jar too! Leave the jar soaking in the hot water for roughly ten minutes so the label is easier to take of.
2. Whilst your jar is soaking, you can take your lid and paint the top any colour you'd like. I used a pink nail varnish for mine. I think the varnish is great because it leaves a lovely shiny effect. Just make sure it's not one you'll miss a lot because you'll be using quite a bit of it! Do your first coat, let it dry, and if you need a second coat go for it! My lid had some writing on it so I wanted to make sure that was covered up!
3. On a piece of paper write your jars label. I went for 'My 2013 Journal Jar'. I stuck mine on the inside of the jar, but if you want to make it easier just stick it on on the outside, makes no difference!
4. Take some ribbon and wrap it around the top of your jar and tie a nice bow.
5. Your jar is complete! It's now time to write your first memory and pop it in!


I hope you enjoyed this post, it was very fun making this jar! Thanks for reading!

Elle X

Have you made a jar already? What do you think of this idea?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea, I might try it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great idea and will be good to look back on at the end of the year! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely idea, and such a gorgeous blog xo

    http://thatswhatsophiesaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about doing this for ages but never gotten round to doing it, such a lovely idea. Great post x

    www.misssunshinesparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it,it's a really good idea!
    http://cinnamonanddanako.blogspot.co.uk/
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete